Italian words used in English!
Not everyone word used in English is original! In fact, much of our language is borrowed from other parts of the world! Check out these borrowed terms!
Many of the different styles of ‘espresso’ based coffee beverage borrow the Italian names – espresso, cappuccino, macchiato, americano, etc…
“Every morning I drink a cappuccino, at 11am I have an espresso, and if I need energy in the afternoon I’ll drink a small Americano… I think I drink too much coffee!”
A barista is the person making drinks in a cafe, especially coffee based beverages (don’t confuse it with ‘barrister’ – a type of lawyer in the UK legal system)
“My brother worked as a barista in London for a while”
Describes the exciting last part of a show or series. Often used as part of the phrase ‘grande finale’
“Oh, it’s the grand finale of America’s Got Talent tonight!”
Graffiti refers to drawings, artist, and writing on public places like buildings, walls, and bridges
“Banksy is one of the most famous graffiti artists in the world”
Can you think of any other foreign words used in English?
Check out my PODCAST!!
264. Why is the UK Banning Some Breeds of Dog?: The Dangerous Dog Debate! (English Vocabulary Lesson) – Thinking in English
- 264. Why is the UK Banning Some Breeds of Dog?: The Dangerous Dog Debate! (English Vocabulary Lesson)
- 263. The Foreign Language Effect: How Thinking in English Can Improve Your Decision Making and Memories! (English Vocabulary Lesson)
- 262. Why is France Banning Islamic Clothes in Schools? (English Vocabulary Lesson)
- 261. The Seven Wonders of the Ancient World (English Vocabulary Lesson)
- 260. How to argue (and win arguments) in English?
Why not support Thinking in English?
Help to support the podcast by making a one-time donation! I would love to buy a new mic, and pay for a better blog/podcast host…
Help to support the podcast by making a monthly donation! I would love to buy a new mic, and pay for a better blog/podcast host
Help to support the podcast by making a yearly donation! I would love to buy a new mic, and pay for a better blog/podcast host…
Choose an amount
Or donate what you like!
Thank you so much for your donation! Reach out to me on Instagram, or by the contact form above, and I’ll be happy to thank you in person!
Your contribution is appreciated.
Your contribution is appreciated.DonateDonate monthlyDonate yearly
Do you want to Think in English?
I’m so excited that you found my blog and podcast!! If you don’t want to miss an article or an episode, you can subscribe to my page!