MSC Asian Politics, BA History and Politics, TEFL
Tom is the founder, host, editor, writer, researcher, manager, publisher, and more of the Thinking in English Podcast and website!
He also makes content for Instagram, YouTube, TikTok, and other social media platforms. A lifelong learner, Tom is committed to making high-quality and original content for English learners to use, learn from, and integrate into their learning routines!
My name is Tom Wilkinson and I am the founder of Thinking in English. I started this podcast because I want English students around the world to have more variety in study materials. I was born and raised in the UK, but since graduating from university I have lived in rural Japan, London, Taiwan, and Tokyo! I can speak Japanese and a little Chinese, and in the future I would love to spend more time becoming fluent in a variety of languages.
As well as podcaster and blogger, I was a research student at a university in Tokyo and teach occasionally online. I have a MSc in Asian Politics, with a focus on Japanese and Taiwanese multiculturalism, international relations, and domestic politics. Since first visiting Asia in 2014, the region has become a big part of my life – I love the food, the people, the weather (sometimes), and learning about new cultures. HOWEVER, I would love to travel to every country (Why not invite me to your country?? I might say yes!!).
Although my life is generally busy with research, podcasting, and studying Japanese, I make sure I drink a cup of coffee everyday, travel to new areas, and try to eat as much as possible!
I was an English teacher in Japan for 2 years between 2016 and 2018, teaching elementary and junior high school English classes. I am also an online English tutor for Cambly, and TEFL qualified through MyTEFL. I have an undergraduate degree in History and Politics from the University of Nottingham (graduated with a First Class Honours degree) and Master’s in Asian Politics from SOAS, University of London
My Recent Podcasts!
- The Ship of Theseus: Thought Experiment (Bonus Episode)The name of my podcast is Thinking in English, and in honour of that name I’ve decided to make today’s episodes about one of the most famous thought experiments in history: the Ship of Theseus.
- 218. Could Putin Really be Arrested? (English Vocabulary Lesson)Last week, the International Criminal Court issued an arrest warrant for Russian president Vladimir Putin. But could Putin ever actually be arrested? Let’s discuss this and more on today’s episode of Thinking in English!
- 217. How to Use Poetry to Study English?Today, I want to introduce you all to the benefits and joys of using poetry to learn English!
- What 3 Words Describe Your 2022?What 3 words describe your 2022? As the year is coming to the end, let’s reflect on our experiences, achievements, and areas of development over the past year!
- I Moved Country (Again)!!After a year and a half living in Tokyo, Japan, I have returned home to the UK! As I didn’t have enough time to write a normal Thinking in English episode for today, I thought I would do something a little different and talk about why I left Japan, my journey back home, how I’m […]
- Join My Patreon!I have just started a Patreon… find out why you should join here!
Do you want to Think in English?
I’m so excited that you found my blog and podcast!! If you don’t want to miss an article or an episode, you can subscribe to my page!
Never miss an episode
Subscribe wherever you enjoy podcasts: