On today’s episode of Thinking in English let’s test your English pronunciation skills by practicing some fun and challenging tongue twisters!
You may also like…
112. English Accents Explained!: Why do Language Learners Have Accents and Should We Care? (English Lesson)
Terrifyingly Troubling Tongue Twisters!: A Pronunciation Challenge
5 Challenging English Riddles!
(If you can’t see the podcast player CLICK HERE to listen!!)
On Monday I released an episode talking about why we all have accents when learning and trying to speak a foriegn language. At the end of that episode, I included a few tips or pieces of advice on ways you could try to improve your pronunciation and accent. One of these tips was to try some tongue twisters. A tongue twister is a phrase that is difficult to say. As they often include hard to pronounce sounds or combinations of sounds, they can be an amazing way to train your mouth and improve your accent when speaking!
In this episode of Thinking in English, I am going to say five different tongue twisters. I’ll say each tongue twister three times. Once slowly, and then twice at a faster pace. You’ll be able to find them written in the description of the podcast and also on my blog. Also, I’m planning on recording videos of myself saying these tongue twisters and post them to my Instagram page – so make sure you follow the Thinking in English Podcast Instagram. I want you to listen to me read out each tongue twister, and try to copy my pronunciation. Keep practicing, and try to make yourself as fluent and as clear as possible! In fact, I think it would be interesting if you record yourself speaking and send me a clip to listen to on Instagram. Or, if you look at the bottom of the podcast episode description, you have the option to send me a voice message! If you would like, click on that link, record yourself, and then send it to me!
Tongue Twister 1
I saw a kitten eating chicken in the kitchen
Tongue Twister 2
I wish to wash my Irish wristwatch
Tongue Twister 3
Thin sticks, thick bricks (x3)
Tongue Twister 4
Rolling red wagons (x3)
Tongue Twister 5
Four fine fresh fish for you
So those are the five tongue twisters I have selected for all of you to try! Listen to me speak and try yourself. Let me know how you do, which you find difficult, and if it is helping your pronunciation!
Check out my recent podcast episodes!
239. France Bans Short-Haul Flights: How Bad is Flying for the Environment? (English Vocabulary Lesson) – Thinking in English
- 239. France Bans Short-Haul Flights: How Bad is Flying for the Environment? (English Vocabulary Lesson)
- 238. How to Learn from Failure and Mistakes? (English Vocabulary Lesson)
- 237. What is a Failed State? (English Vocabulary Lesson)
- 236. What is the 10,000 Hour Rule? (English Vocabulary Lesson)
- 235. Why is Hollywood on Strike?: Hollywood Writer’s Strike Explained! (English Vocabulary Lesson)