Liz Truss has resigned as the Prime Minister of the UK after just 45 days in power. She leaves the country and her Conservative party in turmoil after a series of economic policies and U-turns.
Truss was forced to resign after a rebellion from Tory MPs and her tax cuts caused serious problems for the UK economy.
Although she sacked her political ally and Chancellor Kwasi Kwarteng in an attempt to calm the financial markets, the damage to her reputation was already done. The situation became worse over the past few days with a number of mistakes and a lot of confusion.
Her resignation has kicked off a scramble to become the next leader. While new chancellor Jeremy Hunt has ruled himself out, Boris Johnson seems likely to return!
Here is some useful vocabulary to help you understand the resignation of Liz Truss!
To rule out
Who do you think should replace Liz Truss?
Try using this vocabulary to make some sentences in the comments!
189. Why is Scotland in the UK? (English Vocabulary Lesson) – Thinking in English
- 189. Why is Scotland in the UK? (English Vocabulary Lesson)
- I Moved Country (Again)!!
- 188. Should We Boycott the Qatar World Cup? (English Vocabulary Lesson)
- 187. Who is Elon Musk? (English Vocabulary Lesson)
- 186. What is Thanksgiving?: The REAL Story Behind America’s Most Famous Holiday (English Vocabulary Lesson)
Do you want to Think in English?
I’m so excited that you found my blog and podcast!! If you don’t want to miss an article or an episode, you can subscribe to my page!