Emigrate vs immigrate!
Emigrate means to leave your own country to live in another country. So you emigrate ‘from’ somewhere… For example many people living in Australia emigrated from Britain.
To immigrate means to enter a foreign country to live there. So you immigrate ‘to’ a country…. For example, many people want to immigrate to the USA.
If I am a British citizen living permanently in Japan, that means I emigrated from the UK, and I immigrated to Japan!
Listen to our latest PODCAST!
175. The Language of Protesting (English Vocabulary Lesson) – Thinking in English
- 175. The Language of Protesting (English Vocabulary Lesson)
- 174. Why Are Iranian Women Burning Their Hijabs? (English Vocabulary Lesson)
- What Is “Burnout”? And How Can You Avoid It While Studying English?
- 173. What is the Human Development Index? (English Vocabulary Lesson)
- 172. What Happens When the Queen Dies? (English Vocabulary Lesson)