Emigrate vs immigrate!
Emigrate means to leave your own country to live in another country. So you emigrate ‘from’ somewhere… For example many people living in Australia emigrated from Britain.
To immigrate means to enter a foreign country to live there. So you immigrate ‘to’ a country…. For example, many people want to immigrate to the USA.
If I am a British citizen living permanently in Japan, that means I emigrated from the UK, and I immigrated to Japan!
Listen to our latest PODCAST!
204. What is a Cliché? What is Jargon? And Should We Use them? – Thinking in English
- 204. What is a Cliché? What is Jargon? And Should We Use them?
- 203. Why is Gibraltar British? (English Vocabulary Lesson)
- 202. Why Did Jacinda Ardern Resign as Prime Minister of New Zealand? (English Vocabulary Lesson)
- 201. How Did We Fix the Ozone Layer? (English Vocabulary Lesson)
- 200. What is Quiet Quitting?: KEY Workplace Vocabulary Terms From 2022 (English Vocabulary Lesson)